[78-L] [Fwd: Re: Gus Cannon Query 1] - Researcher looking for help with Cannon Brunswick 1929 session

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Mon May 4 13:44:12 PDT 2009

Here's someone from the rec.music.country.old-time list asking for help
with 1929 Brunswick recordings by Gus Cannon.  I repeat two messages
below, the original from Tony Thomas and a reply from Lyle Lofgren that
contains some detail.  Tony  is doing a major research project on
Cannon, and is looking for confirmation on who played which instruments
on these two 1929 sides.  He doesn't have access to the Brunswick master
book, which is partly available on Google books, so perhaps someone can
help at least with that.  Tony has been working on Cannon and early
black banjo players generally for some time, and I think is making a
real contribution on this subject.  I've offered to post this query and
forward him the results, though you will see his email in the header
below if you want to contact him directly.