[78-L] Eurovision on 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun May 3 07:27:35 PDT 2009

Thanks all for the 'last 78' years.

What I am attempting to do is see what Eurovision
titles appeared on 78, realsibg that from 1960 on
the pickings are going to be really slim. So, I
complied the 1956 to 1959 entries and have made a
table t hat I will soon post at cool78s.com as a
part of a research project. Initially I did an
ebay look up on every artist. I made a few observations.

1956
Refrain by Lys Assia - Switzerland - HMV 78
exists (I won one of these ebay, but the Italian
post office seems to have eaten it!)
So geht das jede Nacht by Freddy Quinn - Germany
- existence unknown but artist had 78s on Polydor
Amami se vuoi by Tonina Torrielli - Italy -
existence unknown but artist had 78s on Cetra

1957
All by Patricia Bredin - United Kingdom - given
the long life of the 78 in UK I see it possible,
but I can't even find a lable for the artist!
Net als toen by Corry Brokken - Netherlands - 78 exists on Ronnex 1957
L'enfant que j'étais by Lys Assia - Switzerland - HMV? (see 1956)

1958
Nel blu dipinto di blu by Domenico Modugno -
Italy - 78s exist on UK: Oriole International ICB
5000/ Canada: Fonit 78-201/ Argentina: Fonit unknown
Heel de wereld by Corry Brokken - Netherlands - Ronnex? (see 1957)
Lilla stjärna by Alice Babs - Sweden - Unknown
but artist was on either Polydor, Philips or Fontana
Jeg rev et blad ud af min dagbog - Raquel
Rastenni - Denmark - artist was on Sonet
Giorgio by Lys Assia - Switzerland - HMV? (see 1957)

1959
Piove (Ciao, ciao bambina) by Domenico Modugno -
Italy - 78s exist on UK: Oriole CB 1489/ Israel: Fonit 2181/
South Africa: Fonit FM 6685
Sing, Little Birdie by Pearl Carr & Teddy Johnson
- United Kingdom - 78 possible based on existence
of these 45s: UK: Columbia DB 4725/ Canada: Capitol F-4211

It goes without saying that the the UK entries
may be on 78 in Australia or South Africa.

Tony