[78-L] Eurovision on 78

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat May 2 02:15:03 PDT 2009

Tony wrote:
> The other one that I am wondering about is Sing Little Birdie by
> Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson .. Columbia was still making 78s in the
> UK in 59, so it may be possible
----
Issued on 78 rpm and 45 rpm DB 4275 in March 1959.
Barry Kendall/ June Lowe's version on Embassy and Bert Weedon's on Top Rank
were also issued in both formats.
This was still the rule in the UK. Very few British labels had cancelled the
78 rpm format in 1959; some recordings were still issued on 78 rpm only.
Philips, BTW, was the last company to offer the 45 rpm format in Britain.
That happened as late as January 1958.
Kristjan