[78-L] Jazz Violinists.

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Fri May 1 11:55:53 PDT 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> David Sanderson wrote:
>
>> There's quite a nice bio of Grapelly available via Netflix, worth
>> seeing.  One thing mentioned is that Reinhardt was a violinist before
>> the fire trashed his left hand and forced him to shift to guitar.  I
>> didn't know about the later violin recordings, and would be interested
>> in finding out where I can hear them.
> =================
> They're on this CD:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Jazz-Django-Reinhardt-Brussels/dp/B0000046M3
>
>       Julian Vein

Thanks - I find them also on Classics 877, Django Reinhardt 1941-1942.
Classics put out a series of Reinhardt reissues that covers pretty much
his whole career.  There are two cuts, Django on violin with Ivon de Bie
on piano, part of set of four cuts from April 16, 1942, "Vous et moi"
and "Blues en mineur" with violin, and "Distraction" and "Studio 24"
with him on guitar.  The violin performances are nice, quite competent,
sensitive, with some very pretty glissandi on "Vous et moi."

--

      David Sanderson
      East Waterford, Maine

      dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com