[78-L] NBC Infomercial on Victor

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Fri May 1 04:53:34 PDT 2009

I just found an RCA Victor 78 which consists ,essentially, of an
informercial for an NBC advertising  supplement which ran in a September
issue of LIFE magazine in ...I would imagine from the content ...1937.  It
is complete with dramatic vignettes of life in  Radio City . The reason I
date it as 1937 is the fact that the  broadcast of the coronation of George
VI is exerpted and the side then goes on to puff  Toscanini who is " coming
to NBC this fall."  I believe he started in 1937 did he not?  The second
side of this gem is the commercial scroll label  issue of Toscanini and the
NY Phil doing the Prelude to the Third Act of Lohengrin .
The infomercial side is missing it's lable: someone has  picked it off
leaving a enough bits to show that it wasn't a commercial issue label at
all. There is no eccentric run out groove and the matrix number is 013166-1.
So , was it for RCA dealers?  Radio station promo? LIFE distributors?
Speak, O Wise Ones!