[78-L] South Pacific reissue question

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 30 22:03:34 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> That's the one I have (blue Masterworks label, 1998 copyright date and it
> sounds HORRIBLE, distorted, off speed.  Oh goodie..two of the teeth just fell
> out of the tray and lodged in the keyboard. Swell manufacturing, Sony.
>
> I know there have been 3 CD issues..one before this had a "wrong" version of
> "Carefully Taught", with a line missing (no high note from Tabbert). I bought
> DIDP 096594 within the last 6 years, with a "Nice Price" sticker on it. The
> booklet refers to the tape source on page 12.

Yeah, I found this note after I sent out the posting.  But it still
makes it confusing as to whether they reverted back to the lacquers
(which they incorrectly call acetates) or are still using the tapes but
have fixed the incorrect take.
> DIDP stands for Didier P. Deutsch..how many reissue producers get to become a
> prefix?

I thought it was an extension of the DADC prefix which stood for Digital
Audio Disc Corp which was the name of the pressing plant.
> For what it's worth, when I did South Pacific for Naxos, I used the *45* set
> which sounded better than either the 78s or LPs and was definitely derived
> direct from the lacquers, not a tape source..there was a clunk at the start of
> several of the sides.
>
> dl

Did you notice the out-of-phase microphone in the second part of Younger
Than Springtime after the short orchestral break.  I think they raised
the level of a mic for the orchestra and left it there, and now
Talbert's voice was being picked up by two mics that were out of phase
with each other.

But no matter what the sound quality, it is still a MUCH better
recording that that goshdarn awful Kiri/Carrass/Vaughn version.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com