[78-L] impuring the pure

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 30 21:25:23 PDT 2009

Ten years or so ago my daughter was first chair cello in first orchestra (our public high school was lucky enough to have three full orchestras).  The concert master of first orchestra was a very fine violinist, a very devout young man  who spent most of his evenings playing in his family's string quartet at home.  Music for him came from sheet music and not from electronic  sources.

He was over at our house one day and I asked him if he ever played any jazz on his violin.  He assured me that there was no such a thing as "violin jazz" and dismissed me as a parent gone mad.

I looked at my daughter and she just smiled and gave me the look that said, "This should be fun."  And it was.

He shook his head and squinted his eyes as I played some cuts from "Paris Encounter" by Gary Burton and Stephane Grappelli on the turntable.    Then his ears got red and his body shook as I played the Stuff Smith cuts from the Nat Cole "After Hours Sessions".   And then he excused himself pretty quickly after about a minute or so of Jean Luc Ponte.  (I couldn't help myself.)

He didn't come over to the house much after that.  I still liked him and loved to hear him play.  I can only hope Stephane and Stuff and Jean Luc opened his ears a little bit.

Which is what you guys on 78-L do to/for me.  You lead me down some paths I never thought I'd go down.  And it's fun.

Bill McClung
bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
EarthLink Revolves Around You.