[78-L] Jazz violin

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 30 13:37:05 PDT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:35:12 -0400
> From: soundthink at aol.com
> Subject: [78-L] Jazz violin
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
>
> Try Michel Warlop.He played some dates with Grappelli & Reinhardt, but
> there are some astoundingly terrific sides by this unheralded violinist.
>
> You should also listen to some of the?western swing violinists, such as
> Carroll Hubbard, Cecil Brower, J.R. Chatwell, and Louis Tierney. All
> great, and there were many more.
>
> Cary Ginell

One of the great jazz fiddlers has to be the late John Frigo from Chicago.
He played the violin like a jazz horn and not "cutsey" like some of the
others and  was also an excellent (upright) bassist. I first heard him in
late 1955 at the Cloisters (IIRC) in Chicago in pianist Dick Marx's duo.
There two excellent (possibly now somewhat rare) LPs by him which are well
worth seeking out for jazz fiddle enthusiasts: " I LOVE JOHN FRIGO, HE
SWINGS" (Mercury MG 20285, Frigo quintet  with Marx on piano) and "TOO MUCH
PIANO" (Dick Marx duo, BRUNSWICK BL 54006).). There is also a more recent
(1988) Chesky CD (Chesky JD1), "JOHN FRIGO WITH BUCKY AND JOHN PIZZARELLI."

As for country fiddling, other than realizing that when done right it can
really swing and is a jazz of sorts, I plead almost total ignorance save for
a guest appearance on one of the morning shows perhaps three plus decades
ago by Clark Kessinger. He knocked me out & I immediately bought his
Folkways LP "CLARK KESSINGER, FIDDLER." (FOLKWAYS FA2336). As Duke said,
"There are only two kinds of music....."
JD