[78-L] How well did they do it

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Apr 30 07:36:42 PDT 2009

Personally, I have a problem with all acoustic recordings, even tho I
can
appreciate Oliver's Snake Rag on a purely musical level.

Doug Pomeroy

I have known a number of collectors who have had this problem.  But
listening to anything which does not sound familiar or which sounds
"strange" is much like learning a foreign language.  After a while,  you get
used to it and your ear/mind can learn to "translate" the sounds,  and
eventually to just absorb them as you would any other recorded material.

Acoustic records sound "strange" at first...so do a lot of 20s dance band
vocalists...but after a while you "learn the language" and then can
appreciate the sounds for what they are,  rather than what they aren't.

Taylor