[78-L] Rollini Vocalion question

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 04:48:05 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Rollini Vocalion question

> Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> After poking around unsuccessfully for years,  I recently was able to get
>> copy of Vocalion 2675 Of the Adrian Rollini Orch. doing How Can It Be A
>> Beautiful Day,  which I only knew from an LP issue.
>>
>> Two questions on this one...Rust only notes one take as issued,  but
>> Connor
>> states positively that there are two takes on Vocalion.  I can't find the
>> LP
>> but it must have been Take 2,  as my 78 is clearly stamped take 1,  and
>> it
>> sounds a lot more swingy than what I recall from the LP.  Does anyone
>> have
>> Take 2 on a 78?  Does take 2 have a little Rollini coda at the end of the
>> record,  as does take 1?  I don't recall that at all from the LP.
>>
>> Also.  of more interest to me.  Rust states that it's Goodman behind the
>> Joey Nash vocal and in the wonderful ensemble "ride-out"  but Connor is
>> less
>> convinced,  quoting Goodman himself as not being sure that it is he on
>> this
>> and the other sides from the session.
>>
>> So those of you who own this record...what do your ears tell you?  I
>> really
>> love this record and have played it about ten times in the last 24 hours,
>> and I'm about 99.9 % sure it is not BG...any other thoughts?
>>
>> And a quick thumbs-up to Joey Nash's vocal on this side...he sounds much
>> less affected than he often does on the Himber sides of this era.
>>

>> Taylor B
> Jazz Oracle CD BDW8050 has both takes and shows the clarinetist as
> Artie Shaw. I'll play them later and report back.
>
>      Julian Vein

Absolutely correct Julian. Shaw himself confirmed that he was the
clarinetist on ALL takes of the March 24, 1934 Rollini date.
"Artie Shaw-A Musical Biography and Discography"-Vladimir Simosko-The
Scarecrow Press and Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers-The State University
of New Jersey-2000

Al Simmons