[78-L] styluses

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Apr 27 19:54:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco Martinelli" <francesco.martinelli at gmail.com>
> Following the experts' recommendation on this list I have purchased an
> ellyptical stylus for a vintage shure (as recommended by DL): SC35C +
> SS78E.
> It's now mounted in the Dual 1219 I got very cheap and spent a fortune
> having restored, cleaned, oiled, provided of new power supply and
> strengthened in the plynth. With 78's from the 40s - for example the plum
> RCA Victor of the Turkish series I am collecting - the results are superb,
> and people cannot actually believe that the sound is coming from a 78.
> However, there are acoustic records on the local Orfeon/Odeon label that I
> cannot get a sound of with that, or the Ortfon cartridge I have. I do not
> know exactly the origin of the cutting machine the Blumenthal bros. were
> using before 1920 in Istanbul, but since they were distributing german
> labels I think it would be something german.
> Any recommendation about the best way of extracting sound from these
> thoughies?

Or, to be correct...STYLI!!

Generally, when a record produces NO sound...the stylus is MUCH too
small for the groove width! I run across this a LOT on Grey Gull-pressed
records. Steel needles would produce sound regardless of conflicts
between stylus size and groove width...modern needles/styli (especially
the LATTER!!) are not NEARLY as forgiving...! Grooves on 78rpm
phonorecords are NOMINALLY 3 mil (.003") wide...but in the early
days of 78 pressing, nobody measured this...!!

If the groove width is closer to .010" (possible!!), the needle/stylus can
"sail" down the middle of the groove without following the lateral
variations...net result is NO sound output...!!

...stevenc