[78-L] Green stylus designation

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Apr 27 15:54:28 PDT 2009

Kristjan Saag wrote:
>> If somewhat goldfish like memory serves me correctly, was
>> this not a designation used by UK record companies to tell you which
>> stylus to use -- green being for 78s and red I think for microgroove
>> recordings (lps and 45s). I seem to recall that this system didn't
>> last all that long.
>>
> --
> Not only the UK - Sweden as well. Most record players (both Scandinavian and
> foreign) in the 1950's had this system: green dot (N): normal groove, red
> dot (M): micro groove.
> Kristjan

The first Webster-Chicago fonograf I had in 1950 had a Shure or Astatic
turnover cartridge, and they had a red paper label on the edge that the
LP needle would be put in, with a white label on the other edge.
Sometimes the replacement LP needles were colored red.  When RCA made a
lightweight tone arm for their gear drive professional turntables they
had plug-in replacement cartridges because the needles were only factory
replaceable.  The microgroove cartridge was red, the widegroove
cartridge was green, although I have never had widegroove cartridge for
the arms.   Ironically the early 30s RCA Victor Home Recording Needles
with the VERY wide tip were painted red.

Mike (red turning green over you) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com