[78-L] Revised American Dance Band Discography

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 26 22:26:19 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Had a phone call from Richard Johnson this evening to say that he, and
> his co-author Bernard Shirley, had completed this work and it was now
> with the publisher.
>
> It will run to a tad under 5000 pages, with artist and tune indices. It
> will be in 5 volumes, each the size of a Rust volume. It will include
> transcriptions where, at least, part of the session has been issued
> commercially. The same with films. Dubs will be noted.
>
> No idea of cost as yet.
>
> Apparently it has taken 34 years to complete!

1) ADBD I cost, IIRC, US$35 when released...?!

2) The idea of a five-volume set, each the size of Ohio (give or
take) suggests a VERY scary "list price!!"

3) One not only needs to be Rockefeller-level-wealthy to BUY
78's these days...but also the necessary reference works to find
out wotinell one OWNS...?!

4) Given good luck (and a favourable tail-wind), my two or
three thousand duplicate 78's will soon be worth AMAZING
prices...even my extra copies of "Doggie In the Window!!"?

eBxx, here ah comeses...?!

...stevenc