[78-L] My way of flattening warped shellac78s (was Clamp Them Down, Boys)

jeffrey smedbron bottomlessattic at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 14:22:17 PDT 2009

My basement wood furnace has the marble slab on top at the ready all winter long. Probably saved about a 100 htf records this year with a process similar to yours. Soon as the record softens I quickly move it over to a cooler slab to re harden. Some times I use another slab on top while cooling just to be sure it sets up to perfectly flat. If your patient and careful when a disc is just turning soft you can also squeeze a wide cracked 78 back together nicely for good smooth light tracking playback too.

Jeff S