[78-L] My way of flattening warped shellac78s (was Clamp Them Down, Boys)

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 24 11:04:20 PDT 2009

Flattening warped shellac 78s is easy. Did two yesterday.

I have a large, thick marble plate, about 1 in. thick. This type of plates is usually used to display/serve a selection of cheese. Here in France we get them cheaply in shops.
I put the plate in the electric oven and heat it up to about 80 degrees Celsius (= 175 degrees Fahrenheit) . Takes about half an hour to heat it thoroughly.
Then I take the plate out and put the warped record on it. The record 'gathers' slowly the heat from the marble plate.  I wait a couple of minutes and turn the record over. When doing this, I can see that the record has slightly softened.

After turning the disc over, when it's completely flat, I lay it on the table and let it cool down. Then I play it without jumps. Have never been deceived.

Alex