[78-L] Clamp them records down, boys

Eric Jacobs Eric at NoopMedia.com
Thu Apr 23 23:08:42 PDT 2009

I remove the warp from badly warped shellacs using a dedicated record
flattening tool from Air-Tight:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue29/flatter.htm

This works great on LPs, but I was surprised to find that it works
wonders on shellacs, too.

There are DIY record flatteners and methods (ie. glass plate sandwich
on a sunny day, etc.), but the Air Tight disc flattener is highly
controlled, gentle and slow providing consistent results every time.

If a disc is slightly warped, I resort to clamping and other methods.
I reserve the Air Tight for the unplayable discs.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com]On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:39 PM
To: 78L
Subject: [78-L] Clamp them records down, boys

Success! I finally found a way to hold down a warped 4-inch Durium
Advertising
Record long enough to play it all the way through (the Chevrolet "Great
American Value for 1932" disc which is major warped). And believe me, I
tried
all sorts of things, including Scotch Removable Magic Tape (doesn't damage
the
surface of the disc, but also doesn't hold onto it for more than thirty
seconds). Rummaging through the drawers, I found an old rubber reel clamp
(Realistic)..had to trim a good quarter inch around the circumference, but
it
clamps onto the turntable spindle and holds the record flat. Yippee!

(Now I can get a decent transfer of it and sell it to the next poor zhlub
and
let him try and figure how to play it.)