[78-L] Obscure Columbia catalog...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 20 21:29:56 PDT 2009

Another little-known series is English Columbia's "Special Cinema Records".
Presumably these were for pre-show and intermissions (or to clear the theatre)
instead of background music for silent films. They played at 33RPM and were
center start, ran about 8 minutes a side, and consisted of dubs from existing
78RPMs like Ketelbey's Orchestra, Debroy Somers' Orchestra and the like. I've
turned up 4 of these..I don't know how many there were. And they predate the
EMI merger since all the ones I've seen have been laminated.

They also sound terrible..you think Program Transcription dubs were bad? Mind
you, these probably took the huge theater speakers into consideration and were
cut with no bass and a treble boost.

dl