[78-L] The recording studio in MGM's Sweethearts (1938)

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:55:22 PDT 2009

On 4/21/09, Michael Shoshani <mshoshani at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 00:35 -0400, William A. Brent wrote:
>> At 12:00 AM 4/21/2009, you wrote:
>> >On the topic of a recording studio scene set in the 78 RPM era,
>>

>> Mario Lanza singing into a horn in the Great Caruso
>

> I have, thankfully, managed to escape that movie. May I assume that by
> "singing into a horn", you mean singing into a short wide-mouth
> flared-bell reproducing horn, as opposed to a long narrow-mouth
> conical-bell recording horn? :)

In Robert Morrison's DISK RECORDING:  1930-1960 there is what must be
a still of a frame from TGC, showing what appears to be a conical-bell
horn (although only part of the horn may be seen in the picture),
connected to some kind of hose or tube about 1 1/4" diameter, and
about 2 1/2' long, feeding some kind of coupling device linked to what
appears to be a kind of sound box, whose stylus is cutting a groove
into a wax blank that looks to be about 1 1/2" thick.

The machine the device-cum-sound box is mounted on is Scully lathe
serial number 3, made in 1920 and loaned to MGM by its then-owner,
Ernie Knight.