[78-L] The recording studio in MGM's Sweethearts (1938)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 20 20:02:46 PDT 2009

I haven't seen that..but it sounds a lot more authentic than the recording
setup in "Funny Lady", wherein Fanny Brice, in 1930 (maybe late 1929)..

(a) Records onto a lacquer disc (not invented yet)
(b) Records onto a CENTER START lacquer disc
(c) Records a song which the producer SLATES (noop!)
(d) Records with a bunch of hangers-on in the studio

Then she receives the test pressing, which comes to her with a free phonograph
under it, and it has a locked groove. Of course since Fanny never recorded that
song, anything goes. Maybe Joel Whitburn was the music consultant...if she
HADDA recorded it, that's how it would have been done. And with a big lush
orchestra, too.

dl