[78-L] US Columbia in the UK

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Sun Apr 19 11:02:18 PDT 2009

Not necessarily. Louis Sterling's intention was to form a record trust. I believe he had already acquired the Latin American arm of the Lindstrom group (Odeon/Parlophone) before he acquired the US Columbia operation. If its finances hadn't been in such disarray he would have taken it over much sooner. Okeh was acquired in late 1926 -with no immediate improvement in recording technique.

"I wanted superior recording technology" made a much better story line than "I wanted to own every record label in the world."  EMI was not some accident of the Great Depression, it was Sterling's vision from the very start.
-David Diehl