[78-L] BACKGROUND ARTIFACTS

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 06:45:29 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/18/2009 12:01:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dlennick at sympatico.ca writes:

>>  Royal Pemberton wrote:
>>> I read a book on the history of Gennett  Records some years ago, and it
>>> told about their chief  engineer, Ezra Wickemeyer (howzat for a
>>> colourful name?!) who  used a really dodgy little player as his testing
>>> machine;  unfortunately, as a result of what he'd hear from it, many of
>>>  the electrical records made there were recorded at wretchedly  low
>>> levels.
>> This one, by any  chance?
>>
>>  http://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Roll-Bix-Hoagy-Recorded/dp/0253213150
>>
>>  dl
>
> The very one.
>  ________________________________

It came up on an "Amazon  Recommends...." not long ago, even though it's
not a
current book and many  copies are available very cheap. I ordered it and
I've
been enjoying  it..even though he makes the odd goof, like referring to a
Gennett  Laughing Record as "found in every collection". (Never seen  one!)

dl

I have it.  Doesn't everyone?

 Gennett 4994-A  Gennette Laughing Record Al. H. Weston &  Irene Young
(8096)

                 -B Valse Ma Jolie   Nathan Glantz  sax solo, orch acc.
(8088)

Don Chichester

**************Check all of your email inboxes from anywhere on the web.
Try the new Email Toolbar now!