[78-L] BACKGROUND ARTIFACTS

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 17 20:59:53 PDT 2009

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> On 4/18/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Royal Pemberton wrote:
>>> I read a book on the history of Gennett Records some years ago, and it
>>> told about their chief engineer, Ezra Wickemeyer (howzat for a
>>> colourful name?!) who used a really dodgy little player as his testing
>>> machine; unfortunately, as a result of what he'd hear from it, many of
>>> the electrical records made there were recorded at wretchedly low
>>> levels.
>> This one, by any chance?
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Roll-Bix-Hoagy-Recorded/dp/0253213150
>>
>> dl
>
> The very one.

It came up on an "Amazon Recommends...." not long ago, even though it's not a
current book and many copies are available very cheap. I ordered it and I've
been enjoying it..even though he makes the odd goof, like referring to a
Gennett Laughing Record as "found in every collection". (Never seen one!)