[78-L] HOW LONG

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 12:45:37 PDT 2009

iTunes works just fine for burning.

The number of songs you get on a disc depends on how big the song files are. Look in your iTunes folder, or wherever your music files live on your computer. Use "detail view", and it'll show you the file sizes. If they're mostly 3 MB (rather, 3,000 KB) or less, you'll easily get 200 on there. If some of them are 4 MB, you're probably still OK. If they're all 4 MB or more, you won't.

An even easier way is to just go ahead and create the playlist, which you're going to have to do anyways, and start dragging stuff in there. It will TELL you at the bottom how much space you're taking up. When you get to 650 MB, stop; you're at the limit.

If your files are too big, you've been ripping them from CD, or getting them wherever, at too high a resolution. For 78s, the default bit rate is higher than it needs to be, but the songs are short, so the total file size probably is still pretty small. You can change your ripping settings at Edit | Preferences | General tab | Import settings... button. This will affect future rips, not ones you've already done.

If your files ARE too big, you'll have to convert them or re-rip them, both of which is a pain.

Note that the default ripping format for iTunes is not MP3, but M4A.

If you want to use Nero, you can. You just have to know where your actual music files are (see paragraph 2 above). If you're not sure, right-click on a random song, select "Get Info", and look on the Summary tab. Down at the bottom after "Where:" it will show the file location. Chances are good that most or all of your music files are in that same location, just up a couple of folder levels -- i.e., in My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\, then by name of artist, or however they're arranged. Point Nero at those files and it will burn them. It too will keep a running total of MB as you add files, so you'll know when your disk is getting full before you actually start to burn.