[78-L] "Shine", "St. Louis Blues" and copyright legislation

SoundThink at aol.com SoundThink at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 21:27:02 PDT 2009

Thanks, Tim. A detailed, fascinating answer, as usual.

Cary Ginell

In a message dated 4/10/2009 12:44:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Tbroo at aol.com writes:

I wrote  about these in "Lost Sounds". Shine was originally published in
1910  as "That's Why They Call Me Shine," by Cecil Mack and Ford Dabney.
It's
clearly p.d. because it is pre-1923. All songs published before 1923  are
p.d. in the U.S.; recordings are not. The 1910 sheet music  featured Aida
Overton Walker (George Walker's wife) on the cover and  is reprinted in the
book
"35 Song Hits By Great Black Songwriters"  by Dave Jasen (Dover, 1998). I
believe  Williams & Walker sang it  on stage, although I do not know of any
period  recordings by them or  anyone else. There's a whole interesting
story
about who  "Shine"  was.

The song was re-published as "Shine" in 1924, with "revised"  lyrics by Lew

Brown, and that version is still under copyright  (until 2019). It was much

recorded from then on. I haven't compared  the two versions but Brown's
revisions  seem to have been fairly  minor; the 1910 version looks a lot
like the
song we  are familiar  with.

This may have been a case of altering a song to renew the  copyright.
However it you want to perform the 1910 version you're  home free.

The first recording of "St. Louis Blues", an instrumental,  was indeed  the
Columbia by Prince's Band in December 1915. It's a  fascinating recording,
full of musical intricacies (including the  habanera counterpoint during
the
opening bars). The first vocal, if  you want to call it that, is the Ciro's
Club  version in England  (that was a Clef Club band led by Dan Kildare),
but
there are  only  short vocal interpolations amid the frantic banjos. The
first full  vocal  version seems to be a tie -- Al Bernard's version on
Emerson
7477/9163 (he  recorded it later for other labels) and Ernest Hare's  on
Gennett 4513, both  released ca. May 1919. There is  a table  of all the
early
versions on  page 435 of LS. (What, you don't have  Lost Sounds!!!!)

BTW, regarding stevenc's lament (with which I totally  agree) about
recordings in the U.S. being tied up until 2067, some  of you may have
heard that
ARSC recently got legislation passed that  directs the Copyright Office to
launch  the first-ever formal study  of this issue, namely the effect of
keeping
pre-1972 recordings under  state law until then. The CO is specifically
directed to look at the  effect on preservation and access to those
recordings, to take  public comment on the issue, and to report to Congress
 within two
years with recommended changes in the law. This is the first step,  we
think, in getting this bad situation addressed. It was quite a  battle just
get this far.

Tim B.

Message:  13