[78-L] Sweet Black Bands

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 11:16:07 PDT 2009

Julian, Al and  Taylor
never truer words said about how bad Orlando Roberson was, some of those Hopkins' ecords ... you have a good band, good phrasing, then the vocal by Orlando (they had Ovie Alston who was better, why did they need Orlando anyways?), and you wonder why the Swingfan Lp from the 60's cut the vocals from "Do You Ever Think Of Me" out, it is a good record without the vocal!
Yves Francois
PS the 37 Hopkins are about the most disappointing records I have ever heard by a name band ... 1 good record ("Church Street Sobbin Blues" w a Shirley Clay solo), no Jabbo solos, why?