[78-L] The Wrong Gramophone.

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 14 06:07:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 09:43 +0100, Spats wrote:

> However, today, I watched a BBC feature called The Lost Prince, set
> in 1914. As usual, the costumes were meticulously put together.
> HOWEVER, a horn gramophone is given as a present in one scene and it
> only takes the merest glance and any of us would recognize a modern
> cheap reproduction of the type that is made in India these days. To
> compound this oversight, when the prince takes out a record to play
> on it, it is clearly a double sided electric-era Odeon! This is a
> common oversight. Many is the time on TV that they take a red-label
> HMV record, put it on the turntable and out of the TV speaker
> emanates some dance band recording! A miracle, indeed!

The motion picture "From Hell" revolves around a clairvoyant police
officer who tries to use his gifts to intercept Jack The Ripper. The
film takes place in 1888. In one scene, Sir Ian Holm is seen listening
to a wax cylinder talking machine with a large horn, despite the fact
that no such talking machine existed. The Graphopohone, and Edison's
Improved Phonograph (which would not have been in England then anyway),
were still played only through ear tubes.