[78-L] The Wrong Gramophone.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 14 01:43:14 PDT 2009

Hi!

I've always been a little smug about the UK's superiority over
Hollywood when it comes to scene-setting accuracy. For instance, in
Hollywood's version of Pride & Prejudice (Olivier & Greer), everyone
wears clothes from the 1850s, although the novel is set pre-1820. The
BBC series of Pride & Prejudice was, by contrast, perfectly accurate
as to Regency costume. Often, when the Hollywood film is about
London, you see film stars talking through French telephones, etc.

However, today, I watched a BBC feature called The Lost Prince, set
in 1914. As usual, the costumes were meticulously put together.
HOWEVER, a horn gramophone is given as a present in one scene and it
only takes the merest glance and any of us would recognize a modern
cheap reproduction of the type that is made in India these days. To
compound this oversight, when the prince takes out a record to play
on it, it is clearly a double sided electric-era Odeon! This is a
common oversight. Many is the time on TV that they take a red-label
HMV record, put it on the turntable and out of the TV speaker
emanates some dance band recording! A miracle, indeed!

Why would they take so much care over costume and then let everything
down with something so easily seen to as gramophones and records!?

Earl.