[78-L] The Hill Darn Thing's For You

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Apr 13 19:06:15 PDT 2009

What sets this Teddy Hill performance apart from that of a "sweet" band is
that every note is consistently played just a fraction ...behind the beat.
Sweet bands don't/can't play that way. It's one of those subtle trademarks
of the realy good swing era, jazz inflected bands.
There's more solid brass in the melody statement than in the usual "sweet'
band which  likes to deliver muted triple tongue effects, soppy tenor lead
exposition,
novelty sounds like "tick-tock" or slurping champagne through a bubbly
straw. Admittedly bands like Anson Weeks didn't stoop to these effects but
his ensemble sound left a whole lot to be desired. Check Dick Jurgens to see
how it should be done by a "sweet" band..
Although the Hill performance is subdued  it has the same rhythmic
philosophy as did the Lunceford band which was not a "hot" band as such,
but had a relaxed tempo that swung like mad.

Al S,