[78-L] The Folks Who Live On The Teddy Hill

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Apr 13 10:06:56 PDT 2009

Not wanting to beat a dead horse,  but no one here,  including me,  ever
said that Teddy Hill or any other well-known black band was a "sweet band".

I said that the particular chart of Got Me Doin' Things was played
brilliantly in a sweet band style.  It is unique among Teddy Hill records in
that regard.  Please compare it with the other side (Here Comes Cookie) or
Hill's  other pre-Bluebird sides and maybe what I said will make sense.  The
ballad-type numbers on Bluebird (e.g. Would You Like to Buy a Dream) are
much more directly of the swing-band style.

I have a hunch that part of my "failure to communicate" here is that some of
you consider "sweet band" to be a derogatory description,  which I do not.

Taylor