[78-L] Good post from fnarf

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:10:55 PDT 2009

Al,

While you are certainly correct, I was only pointing out information that,
quite frankly, many historians of the era do not write about. James Maher,
whom I had the pleasure of knowing for many years, heard Ellington in Ohio
in 1928, and heard bands like Lunceford's before they became national
attractions. For years he would point out at Institute of Jazz Studies
Roundtable presentations that we could not get a full picture of the black
bands because much of what they played on the job, even during the times of
their greatest popularity, was music that the labels wouldn't allow them to
record. The fact that even Benny Goodman had waltzes in his book proves the
point. There was always someone who would request a waltz somewhere, and
bandleaders were expected to comply.

In 1972, Sy Oliver told me in no uncertain terms that Lunceford was very
proud of the way his band could play waltzes, and as long as he was a member
of the band, they were played when requested.

By the way, James was one of the casualties of the Ken Burns series. Burns
interviewed him for hours and then used about five minutes of footage.
Whatever he said is hopefully safe, as he had many stories to tell. He knew
just about everybody in the music business during the forties and fifties; I
was able to meet George Simon thanks to James, and thanked him for his book.

Jeff Sultanof