[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 12 20:04:01 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Skretvedt" <forwardintothepast at yahoo.com>
> Depression songs:
> A Cottage for Sale
NOTHING to do with the depression...the protagonist was NOT forced
to sell the "cottage" for ECONOMIC reasons...?!
> Cheer Up, Good Times Are Coming
> typical tune of the depression era...which actually MAKES my point!
> Cheer Up, Smile, Nertz!
I had forgotten this Cantor tune (I own the HOW!)...but, again, it tries
to pretend there ain't NO depression...?!
> Got the Jitters
HUH?!
> There's No Depression in Love
Haven't heard this one...can't comment...?!
> Now's the Time to Fall in Love
A typical "non-depression" tune of the era!! "Potatoes are cheaper,
tomatoes are cheaper..." (for those who had the money to BUY
them...?!)
> I'm an Unemployed Sweetheart
Haven't heard this...?!
> I've Got Five Dollars
NOT related to the Depression...!
> Here It Is Monday and I've Still Got a Dollar
DITTO!
> If I Ever Get a Job Again
> Are You Makin' Any Money?
Haven't heard either one...?!
> Remember My Forgotten Man
I cited this tune...!!
> There's a New Day Coming
> Buy American
> Give Yourself a Pat on the Back
NOT depression-related...?!
> We're Out of the Red
Haven't heard it...?!
> We're in the Money
Sort of depression-relayed?!
> The Boulevard of Broken Dreams
NO connection...!!
> When My Ship Comes In
> I Gotta Get Up and Go to Work
> Gotta Go to Work Again
Again, can't comment knowledgeably...?!

> (and there are more, all on the Bear Family "Songs of the Depression" 4-CD
> box set, which is worth the price for the excellent book alone!)
>
> A song about the end of Prohibition would be the Sam Coslow-Arthur
> Johnston "Cocktails for Two," written for the 1934 Paramount film "Murder
> at the Vanities," with its verse about "What a delight to be given the
> right to be carefree and gay once again/No longer slinking, respectably
> drinking like civilized ladies and men/No longer need we miss/A charming
> scene like this...."  (Cue Spike Jones and the pistol shots!)

EXCEPT that the above lyrics very seldom are heard in the recorded
versions...?!

...stevenc