[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Apr 11 21:38:23 PDT 2009

Ken "Silver Showcase" wrote:
> Michael Biel wrote:
>
>>> The transition from Silent film to 'Talkies'
>>>

>> If I Had A Talking Picture of You
>> Take Your Girlie To The Movies
>>

> Not quite.  "Take Your Girlie to the Movies" was published in 1919 so it
> has nothing to do with the talkies.
>
> -- Ken, (bein' picky tonight.)
You have to have a before if you want to have an after.  Transition from
Silent (before) to Sound (after).   This is a statement of the
make-out-pit use of the movie theatre starting in silent era and
continuing on through the transition to "You Can't Sleep In the Movies
Anymore".  (Of course I could also mention that there were talking
movies long before The Jazz Singer and before 1919.)  I can see this
song being use as a bridge between the section of women of the era into
the movies section.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com