[78-L] Getting more mileage from a tune

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 11 20:59:11 PDT 2009

With the records selling for a buck a disc or maybe sixty cents for single
sided ones and the various client labels being well segregated by stores AND
with maybe one in ten people on any one street actually owning a phonograph AND
with the emphasis still being on the SONG as opposed to the performer, I'd say
no. You wouldn't have found the top artists like Al Jolson appearing
pseudonymously on budget labels too often (the Little Wonder one-off was a
notable exception)..and the client labels were pretty much all reissues of
older Columbia titles, or in some cases the original unsold pressings with
paste-over labels. And of course if you owned a Standard or United or Aretino
you couldn't play any normal-hole discs on them without performing surgery on
them first..

dl