[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Randy Skretvedt forwardintothepast at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 12:20:33 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
Except that Jolson didn't record "Brother". He did record "Hallelujah I'm a
Bum", entirely different song (Rodgers & Hart) from the older bum song of folk
lore.

dl

He may not have recorded it commercially, but he performed it on radio.  I have a CD which consists entirely of different recordings of "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?," assembled for a charity event some years ago (official "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime" day!).  The Jolson version runs 3:18 and is evidently from a 1939 broadcast.  It's supposedly on a Sandy Hook release (old J. David Goldin/Michael Rophone).  Jolson gives a very heartfelt performance of the song.  I especially like the moment when he says, in a low, confidential voice, "Hey, Buddy, you haven't got a dime on ya, have ya?"