[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 11 05:37:15 PDT 2009

Al Barnes wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend come up with some musical themes, and need the
> collective wisdom of the 78-L list.
>
> Here's the question in her words:
>
> --------------------------
> I am looking for songs from the Jazz Age (preferably 1923-1935) that
> mention a number of
> different subjects for some K-12 education programs that I'm putting
> together.
> I'll need to find recordings and/or sheet music as these songs will be
> performed live by my band.
> The topics I'm planning to cover are:
>
> Jazz Age Slang
> The Mob
> Women of the 1920s & 30s
> The transition from Silent film to 'Talkies'
> The Depression
> Prohibition
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, please post them to this thread.
> Your help is greatly appreciated!
> -------------------------
>
> I can help her with a lot of this, but in particular, I can think of
> nothing from the 20s/30s directly
> related to The Mob. And what's one good tune with lots of slang?
>
> This group seems to be quite adept at such endeavors, so I look forward
> to any suggestions.

During this time, music did not often reflect the current events.
However, there were some cute ditties that dealt with social issues. One
that comes to mind was by Paul Specht called "Roll 'em Girls".
When I first heard the number, I thought they were referring to
cigarettes and lib. The fact is, they were referring to the practice of
rolling socks down to expose the knees.

Roll em girls, roll 'em
Go ahead and roll 'em.
Roll 'em down below your pretty knees!"

Here's Billy Murray http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAceqH2atQM

Bobbing hair, shortening dresses. Cute.

Lyrics
http://paroles-de-chansons.abazada.com/

Let your students enjoy "Cheaper by the Dozen" and the sequel, which is
not as well done, "Belles On Their Toes", both rich with scenes of the
era, mannerisms, music and mores. Homemade root beer! One scene is about
the girls braving the beech with their socks rolled down.
I think you can get these movies cheap in Amazon. You will like them
yourself.

For depression era, there's no movie yet that has the impact of "Grapes
of Wrath", thought "Paper Moon" is good but may have scenes questionable
for a classroom.

Old Elliot Ness Untouchables shows for gangster stuff.

You could show them an MGM Metro Movietone short or 2. They illustrate
the transition between vaudeville and sound movies quite clearly. These
are available on DVD, Special Edition "The Broadway Melody", with
Charles King, Anita Page and Bessie Love.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.