[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Al Barnes ace.of.rhythm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 21:02:03 PDT 2009

I'm trying to help a friend come up with some musical themes, and need the
collective wisdom of the 78-L list.

Here's the question in her words:

--------------------------
I am looking for songs from the Jazz Age (preferably 1923-1935) that
mention a number of
different subjects for some K-12 education programs that I'm putting
together.
I'll need to find recordings and/or sheet music as these songs will be
performed live by my band.
The topics I'm planning to cover are:

Jazz Age Slang
The Mob
Women of the 1920s & 30s
The transition from Silent film to 'Talkies'
The Depression
Prohibition

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them to this thread.
Your help is greatly appreciated!

I can help her with a lot of this, but in particular, I can think of
nothing from the 20s/30s directly
related to The Mob. And what's one good tune with lots of slang?

This group seems to be quite adept at such endeavors, so I look forward
to any suggestions.

Al