[78-L] Shine

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 14:21:00 PDT 2009

Does anyone know if the song “Shine” is P.D. in the U.S.? Written by Lew Brown, Ford Dabney, and Cecil Mack (the alias of Robert McPherson) in 1910. If it were properly published then, then it would be P.D. everywhere except in countries where the term is Life + 70 (Brown & Dabney died in 1958; Mack in 1944). ASCAP shows it to be still controlled by Shapiro Bernstein; I have a source that shows the publishing date to be 1924, which would make it protected in the U.S. All this makes me wonder if something went wrong with the 1910 copyright.  An alternate title for the song is “That’s Why They Call Me Shine.”

Cary Ginell