[78-L] Hart House String Quartet

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Apr 9 01:09:46 PDT 2009

I'm curious about the Victor recordings of the Hart House String Quartet.  Although the record numbers of the first four discs are consecutive, 24001 - 24004, the first two were apparently made in 1926 and the second two in 1927, (far superior recording quality and about 5 dB higher level).  There's nothing about the numbers in the dating guide but I'm wondering if the first two were kept on the shelf until the other two were recorded and then were they all released together, or were no other Canadian Victor Red Seals recorded between the two sessions?  The remainder of the Hart House Quartet recordings, (Haydn's Quartet in F minor, Op. 20 No. 5), were recorded in 1930, with a further improvement in quality, and are numbered 24009 - 24011, (according to Moogk, they were released as set CMM 1, but there is no such number on the records and I've never seen any set with this prefix).  This is apparently the only complete work which this quartet recorded
 although they appear to be very competent players.  Does anyone know if records 24005 - 24008 were ever issued and whether the Quartet recordings were done in a studio or in a location such as Hart House?

Thanks
db