[78-L] Al Klink-Eddie Condon's

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 18:59:46 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Al Klink-Eddie Condon's

It was the best paying job in the entire big band industry. They were paid
extra for the Chesterfield shows and were solidly booked for more than three
years.
Miller was certainly not a "sweet" band as, for example, were Orville Knapp,
Will Osborne, Ernie Holst, Ted Black, Guy Lombardo and a host of others.
The Miller band was an excellent dance band capable of playing hot flag
wavers and swinging pop tunes. It was never sacharine as were the above
groups
and although the formulaic clarinet lead sound was the most recognizable
signature, it was far from the only noises the band made. BUH-WAH....
However, I must agree with David Diehl in that it is stultifying these days
to listen to that band for more than say an hour or so and it must have been
torture to play that book night after night. Kinkle was, after all, not the
only fine jazz soloist in that band.
But it sure rolled in the cash. I believe I read somewhere that Miller
netted $750,000 in 1941. In today's money...well maybe twenty million or so.

Al Simmons