[78-L] Al Klink-Eddie Condon's

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Apr 7 08:04:15 PDT 2009

I heard Al Klink twice in NY in the early 90s at the St. Regis with Joe
Bushkin...still playing great stuff (as was Joe,  one of my all-time faves).

Klink was also famously quoted as saying "It's too bad Glenn Miller didn't
live and his music died."

My first trip to Eddie Condon's in 1978 was to hear Buddy Tate and his
group.  It was crowded and I ended up sharing my table with Sejii Ozawa of
the Boston Symphony,  and some famous cello player whose name I don't
recall.

In the middle of the second set,  who should come bustling in the room with
a few people but Helen Humes,  and Buddy called her up to do a number...a
great version of I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me.  And about
five minutes after she finished her number,  she and her party bustled out
the door.  I can still hear Tate calling after her "Baby,  where you going?"

Taylor B