[78-L] From Brad K: The Last Generic Songster?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 20:51:51 PDT 2009

I don't think I would call the style in question "generic". It's simply the method of singing
that developed out of the need to amplify one's voice (in the recording studio or on stage)
before microphones became common. If one is going to argue that Billy Murray qualifies
as generic, one would have to make the case equally for similar artists of the early
20th century such as Arthur Collins, Eddie Morton, and Jack Norworth, even though
I'd argue that each has as much character and verve as Crosby, Columbo, and Vallee
(maybe more, in certain cases).

What sets BM, AF, and IK apart from (say) Jack Norworth or Eddie Morton is that
the former group did not primarily make their living from the stage but through their
recordings (even though all certainly performed in from of live audiences...their
career trajectories just happened to lead into long-term recording contracts, where
other stage performers made relatively fewer records). In some ways, that's what you
might be thinking of when you speak of generic artists. And it's true that as the 30s
progressed there were fewer singers devoted exclusively to records (Chick Bullock
may have been one of the last). Less comedic vocalists also began pursuing other
paths--Charles Hart moved to opera for a while, Henry Burr to the "National Barn
Dance", Charles Harrison to (I think) private music lessons, and so on. There
really wasn't as much demand for singers like these latter gents who could deliver
a finely-wrought ballad, a dance band refrain, and a backing chorus on classical
discs all in the same day (well, that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

And in the interests of full discloure, I love rolled Rs. Vive Charles Harrison.

-Harold