[78-L] Sam Lanin - "I Must Have That Man"

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Mon Apr 6 08:32:38 PDT 2009

I have a copy of Oriole 1399, one side of which is "I Must Have That Man" credited to the Oriole Dance Orchestra with vocal chorus by Sally White.  Abrams list shows this to be mx 8322 from Nov 17, 1928 and issued on Banner 6214, Domino 4225, Jewel 5446 and Regal 8667, all as by Sam Lanin.  Elsewhere, Abrams lists this mx on CQ 7210 abd JE 5446 as by Victor King and His Orch.

ADBD omits the Oriole and Conqueror issues for this mx, footnotes the Jewel issue as by the Jewel Dance Orch and doesn't anywhere mention Victor King as a pseudonymous leader.

I assume ADBD is correct in crediting the JE 5446 as by Jewel D.O.  Questions:
Can anyone confirm the correct credit on CQ 7210?
Are there any records, Lanin or otherwise, credited to Victor King Orch?
Who is Sally White?  She's not listed in the index to either ADBD or my edition of JR, and is not listed in Rust's Entertainment Discog.  I expect that it is a pseudonym, but I'm not familiar enough with vocalists of the period to even make a guess.

Art