[78-L] (no subject)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 5 19:11:38 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:

Okeh...a longer and more considered answer...!

First, the acoustic records of much of the twenties were basically forgotten
once electric systems revolutionized record playback! Even current
"reissue CD's" all too often cut off exactly at the "boundary" between
acoustic and electric releases...!

Second, I suspect that the fifties/sixties era had its own "nostalgia-
driven" reissues...including all the "roaring twenties"=based acts
of that period. As each generation ages, they drift into a nostalgia-
based desire to once again listen to the music of their "younger
days"....!!

In fact, there ARE (and used to be MORE!!) radio shows based
based on "hits of the "swing era"...!! I used to provide Toronto
"jock" Glen Woodcock with longish r2r tapes taken from my
78 archives...CJRT had a system, back then, where if a listener
donated $100 or more, he/she/it could choose the records to be
played on that show for an hour or so...! I have also been VERY
active recording 78's (or loaning them to) Lennick for his various
projects...!!

Now, the closest thing to "enshrining" records of vanished erae
would be the tendency of record labels to reissue "box sets"
of LP's/CD's...and I would guess the "target market" for those
are folks like us 78-L'ers...?!

And note that the "c.1925 cutoff" (recording method...?!) is
still VERY much in evidence!

Note also that the above does NOT apply to classical recordings!
In this particular case, the "musical value" of a given recording
is based on its comparative as an intepretetation of a specific
given work...! I might also that I do NOT collect classical discs,and
thus know about SFA about them or their contents; with ONE
exception...! One of my VERY favourite discs is that of
Rachmaninoff playing his own "2nd Piano Concerto"...I suspect
this is because he is interpreting his own composition...?!

...stevenc