[78-L] Who was the first . . .

melodicmarimba at comcast.net melodicmarimba at comcast.net
Sat Apr 4 16:25:02 PDT 2009

I met the late Sammy Herman, xylophonist extraordinaire, in 1983.

Sammy led one helluva recording / broadcasting career from about 1924 - 1960, starting with Edison Diamond Discs with the Congo Four, solo sides for Victor in 1926, with Andy Sannella's Trio in 1928-29, and on and on. Sammy was staff xylophonist at NBC in New York for over thirty years, doing broadcasts in the morning, record sides in the afternoon, and society gigs in the evening.

I play xylophone myself and collect xylophone records, and visited Sammy at his home when I was fairly new to record collecting. He was 80 years old at the time, sharp as ever, and still playing music professionally. Sammy was gracious and hospitable, spending   an entire day with me talking, reminiscing, and playing piano.

That experience bridged the gap from the past directly to me, connecting me somehow to a lineage that seems more tangible as a result. In meeting Sammy Herman, I met that musical past face-to-face, so to speak. I cherish the memory, and am a better musician due to that special day.

Best, David Harvey