[78-L] Subject: Re: Who was the first . .

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 4 08:47:48 PDT 2009

The first one I really MET , rather than seeing in performance, was  Edna
White ...the trumpet virtuoso from the Edison Diamond Disc period.  She was
in her 80's and I was introduced to her by Martin Bryan , the publisher of
The New Amberola Graphic. The three of us actually had lunch together and it
was fascinating beyond measure.  I think she was actually a very good
musican and she and I quite warmed to each other. especially after  she
found out that I was attending the Faculty of Music at U of T . Her
anecdotes were fascinating.  The only cloud on the horizon was the fact that
Edna was hatching a scheme to produce instructional cassettes  so that young
musicians could have the benefit of her expertise, and in  her first
promotional material taht went out  I found myself listed as a faculty
memeber in the Faculty of Music at the University of Toronto. I thought I
was going to faint when I read this, since I had just applied to graduate
school at said instutution and I figured that if this cunning document ever
floated across a desk in the School of Graduate studies  that my changes of
being admitted would be that of the proverbial snowball in Hades.
Mercifully none of the material got north of the border, and  now I wish I
had saved it all! She was a showman to the end, bless her prevaricating old
heart. She was actually completely  adorable, in her feisty old way.
Another one was Irene Jessner, the soprano who made several Red Seals in the
late thirties. She was an authentic member of the Facutly of Music at U of
T. Unlike myself. Ahem.

Jim

I met bandleader Mart Kenney when I was 7, although I don't think I even
knew
he led a band at that time. He and his wife Norma Locke were nice and
friendly
and remembered me fifteen years later when I had them do some "centennial"
station breaks. Since I was a CBC brat and most people my parents knew were
actors or radio broadcasters, it's possible there were quite a few who
recorded
78s and who were introduced casually.

dl