[78-L] Vaughn DeLeath

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 3 23:26:08 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Thanks,  Sean..I will seek out the Edison.  I assume it's a thick one if
> it's the tune I'm thinking of from 1927 (I Like What She Likes,  She Likes
> What I Like...).

Can you just imagine this song being sung by Vaughn about Kate
Smith?????  There's a couple of thick ones!!

> No word yet from the front lines about Maurice J...the guy who puts the
> "Gunk" into  Gunsky.
>
> Taylor

The first Gunsky record I ever came across was "I'm Sorry Sally" on a
VivaTonal Columbia, and I really liked it.  It's a sweet song and he
puts just enough feeling and tenderness in it that you really feel the
pain the guy is going thru with an unhappy sweetheart.  Then I found a
few more of his records and ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!   They
are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He had a syndicated program in the
early 30s, and somehow one time when I was in Joe Franklin's office his
name came up.  Joe said he had some of the ETs and he'd look for them
and loan them to me next time I stopped by.  About a month later he told
me that he had found them and was bringing them in and put them down on
the floor of the elevator to hit the button and forgot them there.  A
few hours later when he remembered they were GONE!  So they're either in
some landfill or some poor sap's collection -- and THEN gone into a
landfill.

The all-time worst vocals I have ever heard was a male and female team
doing the vocal on a 1930 VanDyke called "Over the Radio Waves."  Don't
have it handy so I can't give you the details, but I think it is going
to be the final track on a CD I am planning.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com