[78-L] Two singers who cause me pain

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 20:23:15 PDT 2009

Vic Damone's initials might also cause someone to chlam up!

But seriously, Vaughn DeLeath is one of the shining jewels of the American record
industry, and I've never heard a recording by her that I didn't like. Not all of her material
was equally good, of course, but she always gave it everything she had, and I *highly*
recommend this entry on Jeff Cohen's blog:

http://vitaphone.blogspot.com/2006/11/soul-of-adventuress.html

I enjoy all the recordings on that page that I've listened to so far, especially her inimitable
rendition of "He's So Unusual". The 1929 Grey Gull (or maybe Van Dyke?) of "Singin'
in the Bathtub" doesn't have quite as good of an accompaniment as you'd find on the
bigger labels, but I find her interpolation "a rainbow FROM me" instead of "a rainbow
TO me" absolutely side-splittingly hilarious, and we'll never know if it was intentional.

"Lonely Lights Upon the Shore" at the bottom of the page is great too. I also love
"Banana Oil" (Columbia, April 1925, where she shows off a bit of comic vocalising) and
the OKeh of "Blue Skies" from January 1927. The latter two can be heard at
http://www.jazz-on-line.com/pageinterrogation.php
Vaughn's "Blue Skies" is simply one of the vocal masterpieces of the 20s and all
eras--there's an almost aching sense of recherche du temps perdu with the combination
of the lyrics, her voice, the clean OKeh recording, and the spoken interlude. Her voice
isn't always technically flawless, but I've learned that character and likability are just as
(or more) important, and that's why I love Vaughn DeLeath.

-Harold