[78-L] Record collecting [was (no subject)]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 3 15:13:44 PDT 2009

The University of Science in Vienna began its sound archive in 1899.
Edison himself had become a collector of sound recordings ten years
earlier when he had Col. Gauroud send him the voices of great
personages.  The Edison Phonograph Monthly has several articles
discussing people who are collecting cylinders.  Phonograph Societies
began in England in the teens if not earlier, and were very important by
the time The Gramophone magazine started publishing in 1923 to, among
other things, serve them.  There were vocal collecting groups in the
20s, and jazz collecting groups by the 30s.  Delaunay published Hot
Discography in 1936, so jazz collecting was well organized in Europe
before then.  It is fascinating looking thru my 1940 printing of the
1938 edition that was owned by a club, AETC Auston Hall, Harvard
University, where there are neatly written additions including Zulus
(sic.) Ball!  The check marks and underlinings show which performers
were in greater favor with these college kids.  There are ads for Hot
Jazz magazine published in Paris as the "Official Organ of the
International Federation of Hot Clubs",  and Jazz Information magazine
advertised themselves as "America's First Magazine Devoted To Hot Music"
and that they published weekly additions and corrections to Hot
Discography.  Gramophone Shop started publishing catalogs in the early
30s that became the Gramophone Shop Encyclopedia in 1936.  David Hall
published The Record Book in 1940 and Irving Kolodin soon followed with
a similar book.  And has been mentioned, Hobbies started a record
column, but it dates back to the mid-30s with separate classical and
popular articles by authors other than Jim Walsh.

So record COLLECTING seems to have been around as long as there have
been records.

Mike (started paying attention to keeping my records when I was about 3
or 4) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com