[78-L] Record collecting [was (no subject)]

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Fri Apr 3 14:40:59 PDT 2009

At 02:33 PM 4/3/2009, you wrote:

>In a message dated 4/3/2009 2:24:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>
>A  related subject: when did record collecting, as opposed to record
>buying,  start?
>

>When, as a kid, someone gives you their records.

I don't know they exact year when people started collecting records
as opposed to buying them. Whats the difference between a record
collector & a record buyer anyway? The fact that a record collector
takes good to excellent care of whatever records he (or she) has in
their collection? Or is it something else?

I started buying records when I was 16 (1975) & became a collector at
pretty much the same time as I found the record collector shops in
Houston Texas fairly quickly. Instead of chasing girls I was spending
good money on records at the collector shops instead!! Didn't start
dating until I was 18 & out of high school. What is it about women &
records? Very few are collectors & the ones I've met (except one
female collector I know) find the hunt for records very boring.....