[78-L] [ARSCLIST] Fats Waller aircheck set

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 2 11:28:32 PDT 2009

Thomas Stern wrote:
>   My recollection is it was large (10 cd) & cheap (a few dollars per disc
> i.e. $20-$40 price range).
> Perhaps the "Documents" or similar bootleg label.

Documents is not a cheap label.  Their discs are relatively expensive.
ProperBox is more in the category you are discussing.

And be careful how you toss around the term "bootleg".  This term ONLY
refers to the unauthorized issuing of recordings not meant to be issued
or not yet issued by the original owner.  A "Pirate" issue is an
unauthorized re-issue of a previously issued recording.  That is
generally what Documents, JSP, Naxos, etc. are doing, but it is legal in
their countries because of the sensible copyright laws there. Of course
when unissued alternate takes and unissued broadcast air-checks are
included, those tracks are bootlegs.  To round out the legal terms,
"Counterfeit" is an unauthorized issue that intends to look exactly like
the original legitimate issue, often intended to fool the purchaser to
think they are buying a legit original.

ProperBox, by the way, is one of the companies which are doubly pirates
because they are not only reissueing original issued recordings, they
are sourcing much of their work from recent re-masterings from other
companies such as Naxos, DirectSource. JSP, Documents, and even the
major labels.  That's why their boxes are so cheap.

Mike Biel    mbiel at mbiel.com